Children are the greatest gift that God has given to humans and in creating God’s children, God has his own secret. There are children who are born normal and there are also children who are born “special”. One of them is a child with Down Syndrome.
Getting a child with Down Syndrome is something that is very, very unexpected. In general, parents, will experience sadness, stress, feelings of guilt, hurt can not accept reality, and so forth, so that the future will be faced with the child will be gray.
But, if we as parents will continue to feel sorry for ourselves and sink in feelings of anxiety and confusion? While time goes by fast and our children really need treatment as early as possible.
Departing from the above, POTADS realized; Children are entrusted by God where He has the right to determine what is appropriate and who He believes is capable of being entrusted.
POTADS always wants to share the feeling that we in the world are not alone entrusted children with Down Syndrome. We can exchange ideas and support each other in raising our children.
POTADS does not want parents to waste their children with Down Syndrome. We strive to help restore the confidence of parents of children with Down Syndrome so that they can educate the child to be independent according to their weaknesses and strengths.
In addition, POTADS also informs the general public that Down Syndrome is not a hereditary disease or a dreaded curse. With love and guidance from parents of people with Down Syndrome are able to train and educate. Not a few of those who achieve.
Starting from the parents of children with Down Syndrome who are discussing while waiting for the children who attend therapy at the Special Child Growth Clinic of Harapan Kita Hospital. Then in 1997 it continued to hold frequent meetings by bringing in speakers namely doctors from the scope of Harapan Kita Hospital, 3 women who have children with Down Syndrome agreed to make an association with the name Parents of Children with Down Syndrome, POTADS, namely as Chairman Aryati Supriono, Secretary Noni Fadhilah and Treasurer Ellya Goestiani.
Then this association was endorsed as the POTADS Foundation by the Notary on July 28, 2003.
Now POTADS has changed management to domicile in Tangerang. For their awareness, willingness, openness and feeling they have to help and socialize about Down Syndrome, the friends of POTADS in the region are willing to become managers and open branches in the area under the name of the POTADS Information and Activity Center (PIK POTADS).
The main purpose of POTADS is to empower parents of children with Down Syndrome to always be eager to help their special children’s development to the fullest, so that they are able to become independent individuals, even able to excel so that it can be accepted by the wider community; because children with Down Syndrome have the same rights as other children.
The vision of the POTADS Foundation is to become the most complete information and consultation center on Down Syndrome in Indonesia.
- Has an information center that can be accessed 24 hours either by mail, telephone, internet or other communication media.
- Providing the latest information about the development of Down Syndrome both scientifically and from the experience of others.
- Disseminating information about Down Syndrome to members who need it and places that will be accessed by parents who have children with Down Syndrome, such as Hospitals, Clinics, Puskesmas to Posyandu.
- Provide consultation in groups and individually as needed.
- Organizing activities that support the dissemination of information about Down Syndrome to the wider community.
- Organizing activities that will encourage people to be more caring and respectful; so they can provide equal opportunities to develop in various fields (education, arts & culture, etc.).
The motto of the POTADS Foundation is “AKU ADA AKU BISA”, which is an encouraging sentence for parents and children so that they will always try to achieve the best; which means that humans with Down Syndrome are the creation of God Almighty with all the advantages and disadvantages but still CAN and ABLE to do like other humans.
- Establish POTADS Information and Activity Centers (PIK) throughout Indonesia with the necessary prerequisites. Currently there are 9 PIK POTADS INDONESIA in Bandung (PIK POTADS West Java), DI Yogyakarta (PIK POTADS Yogyakarta), Surabaya (PIK POTADS East Java), PIK POTADS Medan, PIK POTADS Padang, PIK POTADS Lampung, PIK POTADS Bali, PIK POTADS East Java POTADS East Kalimantan and PIK POTADS South Kalimantan.
- Holding meetings with parents of Down Syndrome children in collaboration with experts related to child development and development with Down Syndrome (doctors, psychologists, therapists, etc.).
- Empowering parents of children with Down Syndrome so that they are always enthusiastic in guarding their children’s growth and development as the MLM of the Heart; other than that through various kinds of media, namely telephone, e-mail, mailing lists, websites, social media networks such as FB, Twitter. All of these media networks can be accessed 24 hours, namely:
Hotline : 0812-9623-7423
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
FB : POTADS Yayasan
Instagram : @potads
- Make a guide book for children with Down Syndrome growth and development taken from the parents’ experience of children with Down Syndrome and translate foreign language books about Down Syndrome into Indonesian
- Build and develop the POTADS Website as a forum for information and communication about Down Syndrome for all Indonesian people. (www.potads.or.id)
- Creating a forum for activities / studio to develop children’s skills with Down Syndrome.
- Make a video tutorial on child therapy with Down Syndrome. Reach out and provide information to hospitals, maternity hospitals, clinics and therapeutic sites about Down Syndrome and the presence of POTADS.
- Register children with Down Syndrome throughout Indonesia using a network of parents, teachers / therapists, SLB, Growth and Development Clinic, Students and observers of Down Syndrome.
POTADS has a logo in the form of 3 chromosomes number 21 which is like a person dancing; which means :
- 3 (three) chromosomes number 21 that reflects the type of disorder children with Down Syndrome have;
- Like ‘dancing’; because generally children with Down Syndrome are cheerful and friendly to anyone;
- BLUE and RED colors, which means parents of children with Down Syndrome, will always be eagerly guarding their child’s special growth and development so that children will still feel safe and comfortable in their environment.
Membership in POTADS is open to anyone who wants to join free of charge.
POTADS membership is not binding.